What ways are there to charge a battery and what are the differences
There are currently two common ways of charging an electric vehicle: one via a rapid charging point, the other via a standard household power socket. Rapid charging points can be found in places such as shopping centres, and are being extended to petrol stations and locations in cities. The advantage of these points is that they draw on a higher charging current than the power available at home.
How does charging work?
There are two ways of charging, either via alternating current (AC) or direct current (DC). Charging by AC is not as fast as charging by DC. For example, AC is present in the home network when charging from 230V or 400V outlets. An electric car needs to change this AC current to DC, so charging may take longer. Charging from a three-phase socket (used, for example, for blender or circular saw in most houses) is faster because of the greater flow of energy, but the current still needs to be switched from AC to DC. Therefore, it is best to charge from a socket adapted to charge electric vehicles. Charging is a non-linear process. In most cases, the DC charger will charge up to 80% of the battery capacity in less than an hour. The remaining 20% of capacity takes approximately the same time as the first 80%.
How long will it take to fully charge my EV?
Generally speaking, the DC charger will charge up to 80% of the battery capacity in less than an hour. The remaining 20% of capacity takes approximately the same time as the first 80%. If you're unable to access a fast charger, it will take longer to fully charge the car, depending on the battery and the model.
Can I buy an electric car if I live in a block of flats - and I park on the street in a housing estate?
Yes. You don't need to own a house or garage to have an electric car. You can park your car wherever you need to. However, you will have to recharge at public charging stations, e.g. at work or when shopping. For example, you can recharge the Enyaq iV at a DC charging station to a capacity that will provide enough power to commute for a whole week.
Will it be possible to charge faster?
The fastest charging is via direct current (DC). This is the current the car needs, so it does not have to convert AC to DC, i.e. charging is faster. The charging station network already has DC charging stations for fast charging.
Is it dangerous if the charging cable gets wet, the vehicle is in a puddle or it is raining?
No. The charging process is fully secured. There is no danger to persons at any time. Both the car and the charger itself have several levels of protection in these cases. For example, the current doesn't run until it is securely plugged into the socket and both the car and charger are sure that everything is ready.
What happens if I forget to unplug the plug from the charging station and start driving?
The engine can only be started when the charging cable is removed.
Does the plug need to be removed as soon as the battery has been fully charged?
No, the charger in the vehicle switches itself off at the end of the charging process.
Can I stop charging even if the battery has not finished charging?
Yes, you can interrupt the charging process without damaging the battery. Charging is interrupted when you unlock the vehicle.
Does the battery become damaged if it is charged every day or charged too long?
No, daily charging is not a problem. Charging automatically ends when the battery
has finished charging.
If you don't keep driving until the battery is flat, will this damage it?
No, the battery does not have to be empty to be recharged.
Do I always have to charge the battery to 100% capacity?
No, this is not necessary. Batteries have only a minimal memory effect over their duration, so this is not noticeable in a non-complete charge.
Is it harmful if you regularly charge the battery with DC power via CCS?
No, with DC charging, the battery is only 80% charged in about 60 minutes. For the remaining 20%, the charging power is lowered continuously to save the battery.
How long can a vehicle be parked without the battery going flat when there are no charging options nearby?
It depends on the outdoor temperature and the battery's state of charge when the car is parked. If it is full and the outside temperature is low, the car can remain parked for several months.
When is the best time to charge an EV?
We wouldn't say there is a best time to charge an EV, but most people prefer to charge overnight so they have a fully charged vehicle in the morning. Naturally, depending on the charging point, it may take anywhere from one hour to an entire day to fully charge, so you should consider such factors when deciding the best time to charge your EV.
Is induction charging possible?
Yes, some countries and some car brands already offer charging via an induction coil, but this option is not available for our cars yet. However, we are considering offering this form of charging in the future.
What will a completely flat battery do to the car if I am driving it?
The vehicle keeps you informed about the current battery capacity in the same way as a conventional vehicle does with the fuel level in the tank. Thanks to regenerative braking, you are continuously charging the battery. If you do not respond to several alerts that the battery is running low and it eventually does become flat, the vehicle will stop in the same way as an internal combustion engine. Unlike an internal combustion engine, however, it does not ventilate, so it can simply be charged without any need for a service.
This page represents an additional part of the opening page. Click on the button in order to get into it.Back to the open page